Thursday, July 27, 2006

I sometimes wonder

what in the world was God thinking when he gave me 5 kids?? I do not recall ever in my life saying I wanted 5 kids- 2 or 3- but not ever 5. I do not love kids; I love and take care of the ones I have because they are mine. The thought of being an elementary school teacher makes me shudder.

Brenna is 3 and still stuck in the terrible, horrible 2s. She throws all out screaming and kicking tantrums at every least little thing. She can be so sweet one minute and a screaming banshee I want to throw out the house and banish forever the next minute.

We're having to train Sarah to sleep in the crib. It is the motion of putting her DOWN in the crib that makes her little eyes pop open and the crying and wailing begin. She screamed bloody murder at us for an hour a couple of nights ago; I was in tears because it just kills me to have to listen to her cry when I know all I have to do to get it to stop is to pick her up and put her in bed with me. It doesn't help that she is sick again and has been running a fever for 3 days, yesterday the diahrrhea started too. For 7 months she was healthy and now she seems to be picking up all sorts of nasty things from who-knows-where (no one else is sick and we hardly go anywhere because I don't want to deal with Brenna's tantrums in public), and of course the pediatrician says they are viruses you can't do anything about but wait out.

Exploding diapers I have to clean up- from both of the 2 kids wearing them in my house. Sarah's because she is sick and Brenna's because of the kicking screaming tantrum she is throwing.

DH gets home and starts grumbling about how messy the house is. Any time I clean up it lasts for all of 5 mintues before someone announces they are hungry and there are bread crumbs and jelly smears all over the counters, table, and floor. I wonder most of the time what in the world the point of cleaning is. I won't mention the 2 jars of jelly, practically full, that little hands have dropped and smashed all over the floor recently because they can't be convinced they should walk slowly, instead of dance quickly and in circles, across the kitchen to the refrigerator while they are carrying things. (guess I mentioned them anyway didn't I?)

The older kids want to earn money to give to the missions fund at VBS this week, so DH made a list of chores they could do. They all 3 decide they want to do it NOW- they don't know how to do half of the chores properly (I mean without making an even bigger mess than what was there in the first place), so I have to intervene and instruct them- Brenna gets upset that she isn't being allowed to 'help' too and starts throwing a tantrum- I put Sarah down to deal with Brenna and Sarah starts screaming, so I put her in the crib and she screams even louder- Beth is trying to ask me something from across the room, but I can't hear her over the screaming, the TV someone left on, and Bryce vacuuming the stairs. So she starts talking louder (substitute yelling there if you like), and Brenna and Sarah both step up the volume because heaven forbid I not pay total attention to what THEY want right now.

I really need to take a shower, but if I do then I will have to take Sarah with me because despite how much they try, the other kids just don't substitute for me in her mind. Which means that Brenna will want to come to as she can't stand to be left out when Sarah gets something. A shower with a 9 month old and a 3 year old in there with me is not the relaxing thing I need it to be at the moment.

OK, I had to get all of that off my chest. People seem to think I have it all together- SO not the case. Guess I am just following in Tania's footsteps and not being my perky self.

I'm off to make lunch for the kids so that there is another mess in the kitchen to clean up and deal with the baby who is crying instead of napping like she should be. I've got a few things to show off- maybe I will get to it later if things calm down a bit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Melinda!! Huge Big Stinkin' Hugs!!! I've always been in awe of all you manage to do, and I know it doesn't seem that way right now, with you wanting to pull out your hair and all, but you are an outstanding mother!! Just a couple more weeks till school starts. Sending you all the energy I can muster!! You are my HERO!! Really you are!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

HUGS!!!! I'm so sorry you're having a crazy day with all the kiddos. You are an awesome mom and I admire you for being able to do so much and having such great kids - even if they can make you crazy.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Raji said...

Ah, Melinda (((Hugs))). Sometimes I want to run screaming from my house inspite of having only one kid. I can't imagine what you must be going through every day. You are an amazing woman, you take care of 5 kids & you find time for scrapping, designing kits, being active in RAKSCRAPS. I always admire you. (((Hugs)))

10:43 PM  
Blogger Audimc said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! I have one child and I can't even imagine what 5 is like. If I lived near you I would watch your kids while you showered!! :) Hang in there.. time flies and this too shall pass!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home