Friday, July 07, 2006

July 7- NYC

Today was spent in NYC. We got up and headed up the NJ Turnpike to Statten Island where we caught the ferry to Manhattan. The kids really enjoyed riding the ferry and seeing the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. It was different to see it without the twin towers there
Once we were in Manhattan we got on the subway and headed up to the Bronx Zoo. We were meeting Robin there, and I was really excited to see her in person. What fun that was to hang out with her most of the day. It was my anniversary 'present' (today was 16 years) to meet Robin- Mark did not originally plan on going to NJ, but rearranged the trip to add this in so I could. The girls all had a great time with her. Thanks Robin for coming to see us!
here are my 2 favorite pics from the zoo today:
After we were done at the zoo and Robin headed off to work, we got back on the subway and headed downtown. This time we got off at Ground Zero; that sure is a mighty big hole there. I don't think the kids quite understand what happened there still, but they are closer to an understanding now. I think it will help when we get home for me to drag out the scrapbooks and show them the difference between the skyline then and now. The whole site is surrounded by fencing, so I had to try and shoot in between the fence pieces.
and a shot of what the new memorial is supposed to look like when it is done.And lastly, here is another shot of the great Lady Liberty with the sun setting behind her from our ferry ride back to Statten Island.
We start the trek home beginning tomorrow. It will take us another 9 days to get there. It should be very interesting!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool you got to spend the day with Robin, I know she was really looking forward to it, love the picture of you guys!! Can't wait to hear the adventures of the trip home :D

8:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, Melinda! I'm glad you're having fun. James loved the polar bear. And I am so jealous you go to meet Robin - how fun!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Audimc said...

Looks like you had a great time in NYC. I love that place! I'm so glad you got to meet Robin! How fun for both of you. I love your bear picture!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Tracy Blankenship said...

ok....caught up now, lol. I was dying to get internet so I could find out what you have been up to, lol. Sounds like soooooo much fun. Great photos and stories...feels like I am almost there, lol.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh man! I can't believe I missed that polar bear! LOL! That must have been on the way back! :) Supercool photo! :) And happy anniversary to you and Mark too!!! I really had no idea! It really was so cool to meet all of you. I already loved you Melinda, but now the whole family too! Big hugs to everyone!!!!! Love the photos. I'll have to upload my pics for you when you get back! :)

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home