Saturday, July 01, 2006

A few of my favorite pics from the last few days

Washington DC
Outside the Hirshhorn Art Museum in the rain on June 27.
Wednesday June 28-
Riding the metro in to see the mall while Mark is at his conference.
The day is sunny, hot and very humid, and we spend the morning walking around the mall viewing the different memorials. Beth took this picture of me holding Sarah in the carrier.
Friday June 30- one last day spent seeing a few of the museums before we leave town, and I got this pic of the kids standing in front of the capital building. I had one opportunity to get a pic of the White House as we drove by, but the camera wouldn't focus and I missed it :( Oh well, I can dig up one of my old print pictures from the previous trip we made to DC many years ago if I really want one.
June 30- we're in Richmond, VA and we visited the Science Museum of Virginia. The Vandegraf generators are always a 'hair-raising' experience ;)
Sarah loved the visual display of crystal structures with all of the changing colored lights and mirrors.
In the bioscience area of the museum the kids had fun learning some forensic science techniques to solve a murder mystery. They got glow bracelets we are saving for the 4th as a bonus for solving it correctly.
The kids' favorite thing of the museum was the traveling 'Candy Unwrapped' exhibit- we learned all about the science of candy- how you taste, trends, country preferences, properties of sugar and chocolate, etc. and of course there was a couple of samples. In this pic, Carissa is sampling one of the Atomic Warhead Super Sour candies. Yuck! those things are NASTY! LOL I've had sour candies before that I thought were pretty good, but the super sour ones are awful. You won't see me putting one of them in my mouth again.

July 1- we visted Norfolk, VA today. They have a 'Parade of Mermaids' in the downtown area and the girls had fun looking for the different mermaids as we drove around and walked to the Nautilus area. The statue form is based on the logo of the city of Norfolk.
The USS Wisconsin battleship, which we were able to tour.

The trauma of today was losing Brenna's bear; I had a backup in my bag just in case this happened again like on vacation 2 years ago. We think it might be at the naval museum in the Nautilus complex, so we will be going back to check tomorrow as of course it was closed for the day by the time we noticed he wasn't with us any more (keeping our fingers crossed!). Hopefully that is where he is and the nice sailors Brenna and Sarah were charming while making cards for the soldiers in Iraq found him and put him somewhere safe. There is going to be a new rule that Bear stays in the car from now on- no more touring with Brenna for blankie.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos, hope Brenna finds her bear, and that photo of Sarah and the lights is STUNNING!! I think I'm on a virtual vacation with you, can't get enough of your adventures!!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home