Thursday, September 25, 2008

Savannah Trip Days 5 & 6- September 22 and 23 Savannah and travel home

We spent our last day in Savannah again. All of the time we had spent in the historic district, we were just admiring the outsides of the buildings. Today we did a little touring of the inside of a few. Our first stop was at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.

We had quite a bit of time to wander around since the Owens-Thomas house didn't open for tours on Mondays until 12, so since Mark had been by the cemetery but actually hadn't gone in we went there for a while. Mark looked at the graves and read the signs while I wandered around collecting more texture photos. We peeked in at another couple of churches on our way by too.
Finally it was time to go to the house tour. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, so my photos from outside the house will have to suffice. The house's main claim to fame is the fact that the Marquis de Lafayette and his son stayed there for a few days several years after the revolutionary war on a speaking tour of the newly formed United States of America.

and pictures of the beautiful garden in back that I was peeking through the gate to see a few days earlier (see post from days 1 and 2).
There were lots of these orange butterflies sipping from the garden flowers, and a few brown and white ones too.
The back porch entry to the house.

We were worn out by that point and opted to spend the rest of the afternoon hours back at our hotel enjoying a nap after we made dinner reservations at Lady & Sons, the restaurant owned by Paula Deen, for dinner at 5.
We went for their dinner buffet- it was a wonderful non-fish meal with buttermilk fried chicken (YUM!!), BBQ ribs, black eyed peas and butter beans, grits, collard greens (can't say I was too fond of this, I prefer cooked spinach after having tried it LOL), cheese biscuits and hoe cakes (pan-fried corn cakes), salad, and peach cobbler and banana-nut butter gooey cake. I'm sure I forgot a couple of things that were on my plate too. Oh my, we just slowly rolled out of there we ate so much good food! We went back to the hotel again to relax for a few hours and then at about 7:45 we ventured out to find the evening's entertainment at the Savannah Jazz festival which had started the night before.
We enjoyed 2 hours of music by David Lugo & Latin Jazz Motion. There weren't too many people there when we first arrived, but people kept drifting in as the evening wore on and the room was nearly full when we left with the music supposed to continue for another hour. I always find it amazing that people can take one sheet of music that isn't even filled completely and turn it into a song that can last 10 or 15 minutes. I just do not play that way- it all has to be spelled out exactly for me or I am completely lost. I guess that is why I am an orchestra player and not a jazz instrumentalist!

Day 6 was a travel day to get back to the Springs. We had to get up and catch an early bus out to the airport, since it is geared towards people who actually work out near the airport and not tourists, so it only runs until about 8:30. That meant a long wait at the airport since our flights didn't leave until 12 and 2- Mark was on a different airline since he was flying on a ticket from work to the conference. I had another long wait once I got to Chicago, so I decided to try and get on the earlier flight to the Springs. I grabbed the last stand-by seat and sat down on the plane only to sit there and sit there.... they had found an electrical problem and were trying to fix it. Finally after about about 45 minutes they had everyone get off the plane. Some people rescheduled for the 8:40P flight the Springs because the 5:30 flight I was originally supposed to be on was full. United finally decided to do some rescheduling and moving planes around to be able to get us a new plane- it was like a comedy routine for a while with them telling us to go to one gate and then changing their minds and sending us to another one. Most people handled it pretty well, I'm sure the beers they got at a bar down the way helped their moods LOL Finally at 6:15 they started loading us on a new plane and we took off about 6:40. I got to the Springs only an hour and 15 minutes later than I would have if I had stayed on my originally scheduled flight ;)

It was a wonderful, relaxing trip. It is nice to know that Mark and I can still have a non-child related conversation, and spend a few days alone together and still like each other when it is all over. Thanks Momma, we appreciate you watching the kids for us while we were gone!

Labels: ,


Anonymous Megan said...

I am so JEALOUS that you got to eat at Lady & Sons!! I hope we get to go to Savannah sometime- it looks like a neat place to visit. Thanks for sharing all the photos and details! I will live vicariously through you...

6:38 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, you got a lot of beautiful shots! Sounds like a fabulous trip! :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Love all your photos! Savannah looks so beautiful. :) I'm glad you and Mark had a nice time!

4:04 PM  
Blogger clc said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip! You got some great photos and I agree with Megan - I'm green with jealousy that you got to eat at Lady & Sons.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home