Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Do you dread things for your children?

I'm sitting here with a phone book in my lap, looking at the listings for orthodontists. We've been trying to work with Bryce on doing a better job at brushing his teeth, and last night we noticed that he has a permanent tooth coming in above a baby tooth that hasn't fallen out and is not even loose yet. I am positive that he will have to have that baby tooth pulled and that orthodontics of some sort will be needed to get the adult tooth into correct position. His bottom teeth are a crooked mess too.

I am a nervouse wreck just thinking about it. I had to have all sorts of dental and orthodontic work as a kid; I had both baby and permanent teeth pulled, years of orthodontic contraptions to move teeth around and oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth so that they wouldn't screw up all of the previous years of work. I remember not liking any of it, but I guess I didn't realize just how much I really hated it. Just thinking about my child having to go through all of that is making me sick to my stomach. Of course that won't keep me from getting him the things he needs; I just hope that my nervousness about this isn't obvious to him. I'm almost 100% certain that Beth will need orthodontics too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sammie needed to have two fillings a few months ago and I was a nervious wreck about it. I didn't know how a 6 year old would handle the novacaine or the entire procedure itself. The filling ended up not being related to brushing but something hereditary where the entire tooth didn't fill in while she was in utero so a cavity took its place. It was in identical places on both sides of her mouth. Very weird.

Sammie also has a problem with loud noises and I thought she could flip out with the drill noise. I was so nervous for her that I didn't sleep well the night before. I tried not to show it when we went for the procedure. She handled the whole thing like a trooper! I was very impressed with both her and how the dentist handled doing work like that on a younger kid.

Hopefully Bryce will be okay through his stuff too!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwww poor guy. Yes, I can see why you would dread that for him. But you never know...he may surprise you!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home