Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Adjusting

Well, we made it home from Spokane in one piece late Saturday night with no exciting stories to tell about our travels. Which is a good thing when it comes to travel. We spent Sunday at home getting the van unloaded, grocery shopping, taking down the Christmas decorations, and just generally adjusting.

I spent the better part of my time during the week before the memorial service going
through every single picture and slide I could find in the house, scanning them, and putting together a slide show for the memorial service. It turned out great, but I have to say that trying to learn to do that when it was so important to me to do it right in his honor, was not ideal. Thankfully Mark was able to help me out with the music and sat and moved titles around on
all 200 or so slides so they wouldn't get cut off the morning of the memorial service while I showered and got ready to go.

About 100 people were there, including all of the family who were able to come, which my mom was pleased about. Several old friends from Pullman, my mom's boss (which she was very surprised about since she had only told him of my Dad's death the day before), and even one of his doctors were in attendance. My sister and I sobbed through practically the whole thing. The
kids were very good and thankfully Sarah gave up running up and down the aisle about halfway through and fell asleep in my lap. Several people told my mom that was the best memorial service they had been to (and knowing the average age of the members of my parents church, that is a quite a compliment LOL!). My mom says it was mostly due to my slide show, I know it
was a big part of it, but there was so much more to the service that made it wonderful.

So, I came home with hundreds of photos of my Dad, as well as a few from my childhood I had been wanting, on my computer. I, of course, have started scrapping a few already. I really do find it helps to get some of the stuff I am feeling out and onto a scrapbook page. I actually did this first one on Christmas Eve and posted it in the galleries, but didn't have a chance to get it put up here.
journaling: I am thankful for all of the time that my parents have been able to spend with us over the years. I am thankful that they have been able to come see us when it became too expensive for us to all go see them at their home regularly. I am thankful that they enjoy spending time with their grandchildren and that the kids love to see and spend time with their grandparents. I am thankful that my parents call every week to keep in touch and let us know what they have been doing. I am thankful for all of the traditions that my parents have continued from their families and the new ones that we came up with once we moved to WA, many of which I continue with my own family now. I am thankful for the stable family that they have provided. I am thankful for the love and committment that they have to each other. I am thankful for the love they have always given to me.
credits: Thanksgiving Blessing Paper Pack by Jeanine Baechtold at Scrapdish; Chipper Swirl by Karen Hunt at SBB; hearts by Meredith Fenwick, Twine and Twine bow from Carpe Diem by Dani Mogstad and Shawna Clingerman; LO based on sketch by Kim Smith for December 06 RAKscraps sketch challenge; fonts: Pushkin

With it being the start of a new year, there are a lot of 'year in review' challenges going on right now at the scrapbook sites. I took a template made for a year of photos and used it to show a progression of pictures of my Dad. Jen's 'Moments in Time' kit at computerscrapbook.com was just perfect for photos of him. Browns, blues, turquoise, black and reds are always the colors that come to my mind when I think of him.
credits: Moments in Time by Jen Reed at computerscrapbook.com; Year in Review LO template by Gina Miller; fonts: TXT Romanesque

I just loved my parents' Christmas tree this year- it was decorated in turquoise and gold with touches of red.
journaling: After 42 years of collecting ornaments, not all of them will fit on the tree at once, so my parents chose to use a southwest theme for their christmas tree this year to go with the turquoise garland Megan gave them for christmas.I loved the blue and gold combination with just a touch of red. It was a perfect compliment to their home. I will always remember this tree as the last one Daddy helped decorate.The gentle, yet striking, colors and the images of his favorite cowboy and indian art as well as the places that he loved will always remind me of him.
credits: Moments in Time by Jen Reed at computerscrapbook.com; holes and stitches by Tracy Blankenship; Rubon action by Atomic Cupcake; fonts: TXT Romanesque and TXT Brush Script


And lastly, I continued collecting pictures to scan when we started cleaning out my Dad's office a bit while we were there. He had pictures (and just about everything else you can imagine) stashed in the strangest places. I found my mom's high school graduation picture in a frame on top of one of the bookshelves. When I took the frame apart to scan the photo, I found a note from my mom tucked inside saying that it was a birthday present to him.
journaling: I found this hand-colored photo of my mom from her senior year in high school sitting on a shelf in my dad’s office. When I took the photo out of the frame to scan it, I found a note to my dad tucked behind it saying that the photo was a birthday gift for him. I love knowing that he treasured and kept these little momentos, and it makes me wonder what other gems from the past might be hiding in his office where we least expect it. ~Melinda, January 8, 2007
credits: Just a Memory by Robin Cabana; envelope from Frolic in the Garden by Kathryn Balint; stickpin from Eclectic Collage by Shabby Princess; lace brushes by Michelle Coleman at Scrapartist; fonts: CK Heritage

I've been trying to catch up with stuff that got put aside when we left in such a hurry Christmas day. I'm not sure I've made a big dent, but a few things are done. There is still a lot more to do. The kids went back to school today. Yesterday was a teacher 'workday.' We are expecting another snowstorm Thursday night through Friday. Why do I have a feeling that school will be cancelled again? and with Monday next week being a holiday, it will probably be another long weekend. They posted on the district website that middle and high school classes will be extended by 15 minutes a day starting next Tuesday to make up snow days already. I don't know how many more snowdays the elementary kids can have before they have to start making up missed days too, but it can't be too many more. It is going to be one long winter.

Well, the kids are home from school and it is Tuesday, so that means we will go to the library when Brenna and Sarah wake up from their naps. I've got some altered projects I started before Christmas and need to finish up tonight. Talk to you all later!

6 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Melinda, (((huge hugs))) I'm so sorry for your loss.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Melinda, I think it's great that you are scrapping through it all. How wonderful that you got a hold of all those photos! I REALLY love that layout of your mom - beautiful work! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

2:33 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I really love the layouts you have been putting together. They are so beautiful and so touching.

You have to love El Nino winters, eh?! You guys get tons of snow and we get above-average temperatures (80 degrees on Sunday!). Good luck getting things back to "normal".

3:13 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Your pages are just so beautiful Melinda! I'm glad that scrapping has helped you! HUGS!!!!!!!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Raji said...

Great layouts Melinda, already left you some love at RAKSCRAPS. There's been no snow at all here till now 6I'm slightly jealous you have snow:)
Raji

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it home safely, and i sure am loving all your beautiful pages lately. ((big hugs)) for you and your family!!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home