Monday, September 03, 2007

Balloon Classic 2007

Well, last night's balloon glow was canceled because of the wind again. So, no pictures from that this year except for the one I posted Saturday night.

I pried myself out of bed extra early this morning to go see the balloon lift off down at Memorial Park with the family. It's always worth the effort in the end. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was out, there were only a few wispy clouds in the sky, and there was hardly a breeze. The balloons once they got off the ground floated around above the park moving back and forth, but generally staying in sight the whole time. So, the sky was filled with lots of balloons- a definite feast for the eyes! Here are just a handful of my favorite photos from today.
The kids are standing in front of the balloon "Texax Twister" as it is being inflated. It was only about 5 minutes or so more before it took off from the ground.

We've never seen this many balloons taking a dip in the lake at once before.

This balloon, "Incognito", gets our family's vote for prettiest balloon this year.

"EZ2.105" and "Toucan Pilot II" being inflated. I love their rich colors against the black backgrounds.

First and second wave balloons mingling and drifting in the air currents above the park.The "Flat Earth" balloon was a new balloon this year, and one of our favorites to watch as it drifted above us with its pop-out images. The Flat Earth people were handing out bags of their chips for people to sample. All of the flavors were yummy!
and I think this is my favorite shot with Pikes Peak in the background.
The large balloon is called "KURB" and the tiny one is "Marv'n the Martian." I got the framing just right on this one without any post processing manipulation ;)

If you want to see some of my other favorite pictures, you can go check out my flikr album here.

I don't know if I will enter any photos into the photo contest this year or not. I think the ones I put in last year were just as good as the ones they chose, but they weren't picked for some reason- who knows why.... I thought it interesting that one of the winners in the professional category was a picture of the balloon inflation reflected in someone's sunglasses. Obviously it was set up that way, while mine was initially a fluke that I fixed up a bit more. If you want to see last year's winning photos, you can go check them out at the official Balloon Classic website.

Well, I promised Brenna some Mac 'n Cheese for dinner, so I guess I had better go make it. Talk to you later!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ramie :-) said...

SO cool Melinda! Love that pic of the kids in front of the balloon. We just found out about a balloon festival here this weekend, so might head up there on Sunday. These pics made Ashleigh say "awesome", so I think it'd be cool to take her....but she doesn't like loud noises, so hopefully the firing won't bother her too much.

Thanks for sharing!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous sight, Melinda! Your photos are beautiful. I'm glad you were feeling well enough to get out and have fun.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Melinda! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Looks like a glorious time. Seeing those mountains in the background, with all those colorful balloons...wow!! Great photos!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos Melinda, I think you should enter that contest.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to log in, that was me in the last post, lol.
Raji

1:07 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

oh what beautiful pictures!!!! love these!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home