Sunday, August 31, 2008

Balloon Classic 2008

Yep, it's Labor Day weekend again so that means it's Balloon Classic time again! We got up early Saturday morning and headed down to Memorial Park to view the day's balloon lift-off. We met my mom at the park and headed towards the lake first to see a few of the first balloons to lift off dip their baskets in the water. This is my favorite picture of the day, and one of the first ones I took:
and I really like this one too:

We moved back towards the main launch area to enjoy getting up close to the inflating balloons, which is one of the best parts of this festival. My mom was telling us how some of the other ones she and my dad had gone to the spectators weren't allowed down on the field with the crews because there wasn't enough space.
One of the fun shaped balloons this year was named "She's a Lady"- I bet you can guess why!
everyone was excited to see her lift off finally
see Brenna pointing at her moving over us in this picture?
I love the colors and framing on this one:
The large shaped balloon at the festival this year was "Arky", which is owned by Focus on the Family. This was it's first appearance at the festival in 10 years, so it was the first time we had seen it.

Most of the pictures on the field I took while stopped next to a balloon called "Heaven's Quilt" which is owned by Bill & Susan Glen of Roswell, NM. I enjoyed taking lots of pictures of their balloon during the inflation process and as it took off finally. They were very accommodating to all of us photographers and didn't mind us asking questions. I think I will do a LO with a whole series of pictures just of their balloon.

Here's "Heaven's Quilt" in the air:and look!! I'm in the family photo this year since my mom was with us :) We're standing in front of Heaven's Quilt. Goodness, I see that my son is most certainly taller than I am now!
And we trooped back down to the park in the evening to see the balloon glow too. It was a bit windy at our house, so we weren't sure what the conditions were going to be like at the park. If there is too much wind they won't put the balloons up, but it was perfectly still down there and just the right conditions for the balloon glow.

And if you want to see a few more photos from the Balloon Classic, you can check out these and a few more that I have put up at my Flickr account:
I'm pretty happy with how they came out this year- these are all unedited photos ;) Of course this is only about 1/4 of the photos I took.

Mark plans to go hiking tomorrow up Pikes Peak, and I hope to get something scrapped while the kids and I hang out at home. I hope everyone has a fantastic Labor Day!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home