Sunday, January 31, 2010

Art Journal- Weeks 3 and 5

I have been working diligently on my piece for week 3 during the last week- taking it to TDC instead of my computer- and I finally finished it up at home this evening after several hours of working on it at while sitting at dance rehearsals. Week 3’s inspiration was the art of Ann Wood. One of her specialties is taking vintage clothing and making original bird sculptures from them. I fell in love with her cute little birdies and the owls that have so much individual character. My favorite owl from her store was Pecksniff. So I made myself an owl template based on him and set out to make a little scene stitched together from felt. I could have just made it all digitally- it would have been much faster- but oh no, that is just not the way I do things a lot of the time LOL That’s OK, I went into this Art Journal project with the point of taking some time just for me and it was fun to feel the felt as I cut it out and stitched it all together to make the scene. I had so many people ask me what I was working on this last week at the dance place. It’s not easy to explain an art journal to someone though! Here’s my “Nightowl” page for week 3.

2010_0131_AJC-week3-nightowl-1AJC_Wk3-nightowl-details-we 

The background is made from a muslin sheet 8.5x11 inches that I painted with navy blue and black acrylic paints, and then I added a glitter paint (Roseart) that gives it a starry shine. The felt pieces were hand-stitched with a basic blanket stitch to the muslin- no glue whatsoever was used to put this piece together. The tree shape I used as a template was from Flergs and Kaye Winieki’s Fright Night kit at scrapbookgraphics. All other pieces of the project are my design.

Week 5’s inspiration is the art of Cori Dantini, and given the complexity of my page for week 3 I also chose to focus on the verb of the week: simplify. It seemed fitting LOL! So, I stuck to a digital page  that I dressed up quickly by adding a few self-stick rhinestones, Glimmer Mist (I can see I’m going to be going through lots and lots of it as it is just so pretty and easy!), and  punching a quick border with a new punch I bought with birthday money. I had to tell myself to leave it be a few times after that though ;)

2010_0131_AJC-week5-simplifAJC_wk5simplify-details-web 
journaling: Why do I make everything so darn complicated? Even the simplest of tasks can take on a whole new dimension for me if I haven’t done them before because I want to get them right, without mistakes, the first time around. Sometimes mistakes are good- you learn from them in some way. Just go for it and quit over analyzing everything already!
credits: at scrapbookgraphics.com: Art Journal Caravan Provisions {Parcel #5} and aqua background paper (recolored) from Field Guide by Tangie Baxter, Ultimate Staple Stash by Maya; doll and flowers from Reflections of Me by Christine Honsinger at scrapartist
fonts: CK Becky
paper credits: Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Pearl, rhinestones by Darice, paper lace edge punch by Fiskars

and here is one more piece not specifically related to the weekly AJC Itineraries. It’s another lyric-based piece from the Glee album. I think I’m going to end up with a whole series of pages based on the songs that I’m loving at the moment. This one is based on the song ‘Defying Gravity’ from the musical Wicked, which I haven’t seen yet but would love to. It came to Denver last October but it just didn’t end up working out for Mark and I to get away to see it. I’ve read the book now, and found it thought-provoking even though it wasn’t an engrossing read for me. I love the song’s soaring melody and the words that encourage you to give your dreams a try even when no one else believes in them.

AJC_DefyingGravity-web
credits: Soaring by Ztampf! at scrapbookgraphics; vintage lady from FairyDavis.com
fonts: Cezanne, CK Heritage

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tania said...

Wow Melinda, that owl painting is really gorgeous! And love the simplicity page too!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally blown away! Fabulous stuff, Melinda!! I see you've found something to fill your time now that P365 and designing are out of the picture. LOL :)

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home