Monday, May 10, 2010

Where Do You Want to Start?

asks the Doctor…….
I wasn’t a huge fan of the cable company forcing us to get one of their new fangled HD boxes to put on our TVs, but I think I may have changed my mind, just a bit. After a couple of false starts because of a bad box they sent, waiting for cable guys to come fix it a couple of times over, some filter on the outside of the house cable that was keeping the new box from getting setup correctly after the cable company turned it on, etc. etc…. We finally got to explore some of the OnDemand features that came with the new box setup we now have. One of the sets of free programming in the OnDemand section comes from BBCAmerica and they had Dr. Who- the newest season we hadn’t seen yet with Matt Smith playing the Doctor. SciFi Channel (I refuse to use the new spelling for it they adopted- it’s ridiculous!!) hasn’t shown it again since David Tennant left the show (he was definitely a favorite of mine in the role) and as far as I can tell has no plans in the future to do so again. So, this was a really fun find for me.

Val introduced me to Dr. Who back in middle school oh so many years ago, and I’ve been a fan ever since. We used to watch it on PBS in the evenings, sometimes together, discuss current storylines and laugh at the corny special effects and aliens. Tom Baker was the Doctor back then, and I think he will always be my favorite. Anyone want a Jelly Baby? Whatever you do, don’t blink!

Versions_of_the_Doctor 

(image from Wikipedia)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Megan said...

I watch the new Doctor Who every week on BBCAmerica (with Matt Smith)- love it! (We have DishNetwork). I think you must have converted me back then, I just didn't know it until I was all grown up and they launched the newer version on BBCA. I remember watching a few of the older episodes with you as a kid, but not very well. (Not cool to have your little sister hanging about!) Ha!

12:46 PM  
Blogger CathyRose said...

That sounds like fun! I will have to check and see if I can get that show.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We LOVE Dr. Who in this house...even my daughter!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen this show. Ever. not even five minutes of it. I feel like a cultural outcast. LOL

I agree with you about the SciFi spelling, especially since I think I heard they did it to try to appeal more to women. Seems a bit insulting, and I really don't find being insulted appealing. :b

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home