Thursday, August 17, 2006

Tea Party Prep

Yes, the party preparations have begun. Invitations were sent out last Friday, with a couple being handed out Monday at school. We have 5 people coming so far. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a couple more call in the next two days as people seem to be notoriously bad about calling beforehand these days. I have to admit to procrastinating RSVPing a bit too long on occasion myself though, so it really doesn't bug me too much. We're prepared for 8 guests. If we have more than that I would be extrememly surprised based on past experience. If so, we will make do.

I did the shopping yesterday morning, and I did some baking this morning. So, I feel like we are pretty good shape as far as food prep goes. Here's what I've got planned for the menu:
cinnamon bread- made over the weekend and in the freezer
lemon poppy seed bread- baked this morning
orange cranberry scone-
Chicken salad sandwhiches
cucumber mint sandwhiches
date cream cheese sandwhiches
gingerbread cookies
Milano cookies -Pepperidge Farm
Raspberry Chantilly cookies- Pepperidge Farm
Constant Comment decaf tea for those who would like to try it
and cake, of course


I have the cake baked now, so I can decorate it at my leisure tomorrow. Beth and Carissa will do the gingerbread cookies tonight probably (the whole point of having that particular type is because Carissa got a cookie recipe book with cutters from her cousins and she wants to use them). I also have some mints we can mold and make all pretty if we have time, but I'm not sure there will be. We will just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Now before you all go gasping at how much that seems like I am doing, I just want to say that I am a person who is not opposed to taking shortcuts when I can- thus, the Pepperidge Farm cookies on the list up there. The gingerbread cookies will come from a boxed mix I happen to have in the pantry, the cake is a boxed Pillsbury mix and can of prepared frosting dressed up a bit with bought ready-to-use fondant and plastic tea set to put on the 'table.' I could do it all by hand, but why when there are easier ways? the kids don't care if I make everything from scratch. It's the whole 'thought that counts' motto I have. I remember my mom making me cut-up cakes as a kid with the colored coconut as decoration- I got to choose the cake I wanted from the book and she made it for me. I only specifically remember the Snoopy cake I picked one year, but I know she made more and that is all that really matters. Thanks, Momma for making my birthdays special each year even if I can't remember all the details! :)

Oh let's see, what else have I been up to this week? Mark left yesterday morning for a short business trip to Albuquerque. He will be home this evening some time, probably around dinner. I took the kids to McDs last night for dinner and tried out their wireless connection for a fee. It was OK- faster than what I have at home, but not as fast as I would have liked it for having to pay for it. I won't do that on a regular basis, but it is nice to know that it works and what to expect. The kids got to run around and I got some digishopping done. I earned a GC to The Shabby Shoppe from a CT posting challenge at RAKscraps a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed spending it. So, do you want to see what I picked out? Of course you do!
I was debating between the Eclectic Collage kit and another one and had actually decided to get the other one. But, I evidently deleted the wrong kit out of my shopping cart. Oh well, I was having a hard time choosing, so it must have been my subconscious at work LOL!

and of course I got another couple of LOs done. I've been very busy scrapping lately. It's always good to scrap when I have a bit of inspiration going!
My second LO with Jeanine's Dude kit- the kids and grandparents working a puzzle together during their visit last month.
journaling: I have always enjoyed working puzzles with my Dad and sister. Working a puzzle on Christmas Eve to pass the time was something we began doing many years ago. Now, my Dad is teaching my kids to love puzzles too. He brings them each a new one and a larger, harder one to work together each time he comes to visit. All of the kids love this and make short work of putting the puzzles together. This large circular puzzle only took about an hour and 15 minutes to work with so many hands and eyes around to help.
credits: Dude by Jeanine Baechtold at computerscrapbook.com, LO based on sketch by Misty Cato; fonts: LB Typewriter and TXT Longhand

The twins' birthday cake from last year, I figured I had better scrap those pics since I am going to have even more in just a couple of days, and Correen's new Belle Princess kit at Scrapdish is perfect.
journaling: Beth and Carissa’s 7th birthday was celebrated with a Princess themed slumber party. Mama made a princess doll cake with strawberry cake and frosting and a pink fondant dress.
credits: Belle Princess by Correen Silke at Scrapdish; pink and white flowers by Dani Mogstad; crown element made by me; Atomic Cupcake tear and glitter actions; fonts: CK Tea Party and TXT Longhand


Well, that's it for now. I've got to get the parent eval form filled out for Bryce's Dr appointment in about an hour and the kids will be coming home from school shortly. Sarah's down for a quick nap, so I had better get a move on! Talk to ya'll later!

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Oh man I want to come to the party!!! Sounds like it is going to be awesome. We usually just got chips and dip and a cake! LOL!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Raji said...

Yummy, yummy! I would love to come for that party too:) Great LO's, I love that 'Olivia collection', I think I'm going to break down & get it today.

12:27 AM  
Blogger jane said...

those layouts are awesome melinda! and your tea party sounds yummy!! can i come too?

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home