Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'm funky!

The first challenge of the Funk It Up! contest at Scrapforums.com is done and I can show you my LO. I'd been wanting to do this LO since before we left Spokane, so it was nice to have some motivation to actually sit down and do it. We had to scrap a line from the song "Photographs" by Nickleback. I'd never heard it before, and can't say I will probably ever listen to it again, but it did have lots of different types of 'themes' you could choose to use in it. journaling: “Remember the old arcade, blew every dollar that we ever made...”
Well, I didn’t blow my money at the arcade like a few people I knew, but I certainly wasted the equivalent of many days in front of the television in our basement family room mesmerized by video games. My favorite games were Smurf, Donkey Kong Jr. and Ladybug of the 10 we owned. I shouldn’t have been surprised, probably even expected it, to find the old Colecovision carefully packed up in its box and sitting on a shelf in my Dad’s office when we started going through it a few days after he passed away. Given the lack of child-focused entertainment opportunities during this trip, we decided it would be a good idea to indulge them with video games. Mark hooked it up to an old TV, also removed from the office, and all of the kids began to while away the hours of the day honing their skills at jumping barriers and rescuing Smurfette, eating dots, shooting up space ships and alien invaders, and changing the colors on the tops of pyramid blocks. I quickly remembered just how annoying the repeated strains of the tinny music could be, but I was grateful that my Dad had saved the old video game for us to occupy the kids with while we planned his memorial service. It was carefully packed up once again before we left to await our next trip to Spokane- a special treat to be enjoyed during visits to see Grandmama and remember Grandaddy by.
credits: Techno Grunge by Shawna Clingerman; Stitching Scribbles Circles by Kim Christensen at Scrapartist; Punchlabel alpha by Leah Riordan at Oscraps; Rubon action by Atomic Cupcake
fonts: vintage Typewriter and SF Happiness

(click on the LO to see it much bigger!)
I'm really pleased with how it all came out- very funky indeed and pretty much like I was picturing it in my head! I came out of the first round with quite a few points, which is pleasing and scary at the same time LOL I dont' think I could have done a contest like this a year ago, I've learned a lot about PSE and feel more free to sit and play with things now to come up with a new look.

Sarah finally has fallen asleep, so I am off to try and get a start on the second challenge. Talk to 'ya later!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you ARE funky, Melinda! You totally rocked this page!! I really can't wait to see what else you'll do for this contest... I love it when I get to see my artist friends "stretch." :)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Tracy Blankenship said...

this is so awesome M! I am LOVING all the layouts you have done! OMG...love them. Hope things have calmed down a bit in your household..nothing worse than it all happening at once, eh? hugs baby! Have to check out your challenge!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool layout, Melinda! Congrats on doing so well in the first round!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home