Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ahhh, playing music again was wonderful!

So, last night was the first rehearsal for the orchestra gig my mom talked me into doing at her church. OMG, it was wonderful to play with an orchestra again!! There is nothing like the feeling I get from playing in harmony with other instruments and singers. It was amazing to hear the full choir behind and all of the other instruments around me and know that I was a part of it. There is also nothing like music being lifted up in glory to God. I have really missed being able to participate in something like this.

I was a bit worried about if I was going to be able to keep up, but I did pretty well all in all. A few flubs and squacks here and there, but since I haven't played much at all during the last 13 years I was pleased with how I did. The lady playing the first oboe part next to me gave me several compliments at how well I did too. That is pretty high praise coming from her- she plays with the Chamber Orchestra of the Springs and also teaches oboe and english horn. She even asked me if I might be interested in playing with the COS occasionally, as they sometimes need a third oboe and she thinks I play better than the person they usually call. I find the idea intriguing and intimidating all at the same time!

The evening ended on a bit of 'sour note' when during the break my cleaning swab got stuck in the top piece of my oboe, and I couldn't get it out. I'm not sure if there was a knot in the bottom of it- Sarah has been getting into my oboe case and playing with things since I got it out to start practicing- or if it was frayed and then got stuck on the octave key parts inside the bore. So, I sat through the last 45 minutes of rehearsal and ran through the music on the keys only. I took it to the repair shop this morning and the lady couldn't get it out quickly with their tools either. She said they would have to take the octave keys off and hopefully be able to get it untangled then. Hopefully they will be able to get it repaired by tomorrow since we have rehearsal Saturday morning and the performance Sunday evening. A new cleaning swab is definitely in order, and now they come with strings on both ends so that you can remove the swab from the end of the instrument more easily if it gets stuck like mine did. I had briefly thought about getting a new swab when I saw they had some new stock in the music store a couple of weeks ago. It certainly would have been cheaper in the long run if I had- live and learn.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're enjoying the orchestra! I sang in a large choir in school, and always loved the powerful sound of all those voices. :) And how cool that she invited you to play with the COS! :)

Sorry about your oboe getting messed up. Hope they can get it fixed before your next rehearsal!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

It sounds like you had such a wonderful time and I really am so glad you are getting to enjoy doing something you love so much!!!! I hope that someone takes lots of pictures of you! Hope you get it fixed so you can get back to playing!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home